Choose the right staff to see at Dunelm
Seeing a Doctor
What to expect from your doctor -a guide for patients
We see patients by appointment only, to try and cut your waiting time to a minimum.
You may choose to see the doctor of your choice and will be offered the first available appointment. If you feel that your problem is more urgent and cannot wait, please let the receptionist know and they will advise the duty doctor of the situation. A decision will then be made about who the most appropriate clinician is to see you, and when. All appointments at each surgery can be made either in person or by telephone.
We will always see urgent cases on the same day but this could involve waiting until you can be fitted in between booked appointments.
All appointments at each surgery can be made either in person or by telephone.
- Bearpark Medical Centre Tel: 0191 373 2077
- Gilesgate Medical Centre Tel: 0191 386 4242
- Framwellgate Moor Medical Centre Tel: 0191 386 6044
SMS Text Message Service
If you provide us with your mobile number we can text you a reminder to attend your appointment usually the day before.
Pre booked appointments can be booked up to 2 weeks in advance and should be used:
- if you have a long-term medical condition which requires you to see the doctor at regular intervals.
- if you need to see a doctor for a repeat sick note or medication.
- if you wish to see a doctor regarding a condition which is not urgent.
On the Day Bookable Appointments
On the day booking appointments are not released until
- 08:45 at Gilesgate and Framwellgate Moor
- 08:30 at Bearpark
These should be used:
- If you are suffering from a condition which you feel cannot wait until the next bookable appointment. You may not be offered an appointment with the doctor of your choice.
Saturday Morning Surgery
- Framwellgate Moor Surgery 08:00 – 13:00
Emergency appointments are accessible if necessary and there are no routine appointments available on that day.
In order to prioritise emergency appointments you will be asked to give some indication of the problem, as the doctor requires this information. You may then receive a telephone consultation and / or be given a time to come to the surgery. However, there may be a short wait before you are seen.
There are a number of telephone consultations available each day after morning surgery. Telephone consultations are especially useful where you feel ‘face to face’ contact with a doctor is not required i.e. medication queries, requests for continuing medical certificates, discussion of straightforward test results.
When booking a telephone consultation with reception please provide the most convenient telephone number you wish to be contacted on. If this is a mobile number please ensure your phone is switched on or if a land line number put ensure you will be at home when you are expecting the doctor to call.
Practice Nurse Appointments
The Practice Nurses are all experienced Senior Nurses whose training allows them to offer confidential discussions and advise about all aspects of health. They provide monitoring and management for people with diabetes, asthma, heart problems, epilepsy, chest problems and mental health problems. The treatment room nurse performs smear tests, childhood immunisations and gives health advice and immunisations to those travelling abroad.
Appointments can be made via the receptionist.
The nurse practitioner is available to see patients with problems concerning the following:
- Coughs, Colds, Ears, Throat, Sinuses, Chest Infections, Rashes, Musculoskeletal (e.g. Back Pain), Abdominal Pain, Vomiting, UTI, Headache, Allergies, Wound Infections and Bites.
- Anxiety, Depression, Skin Problems, Hay Fever, Contraceptive Pill, Abnormal Bleeding, Lumps (anything that may need an urgent 2 week referral).
- Heartburn, Indigestion, Period Problems, Breast Problems, Constipation, Diarrhoea.
- All childhood illnesses.
Health Care Assistants
The healthcare assistants support the work of the Practice Nurse by doing blood tests, performing other tests e.g. spirometry and monitoring blood pressure. They provide comprehensive smoking cessation services and can monitor weight loss.
If you cannot attend an appointment for any reason please inform us as soon as possible in order for us to give the slot to someone else.